Saturday, May 20, 2006

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs....

I am sure you have read, somewhere, the new hype about teaching your baby to sign before he can speak. This was a relatively new concept when Jacob was a baby, but now we have weekly classes here in town and you can find books on the subject in every store. I atttempted a few signs with Jacob, but he never picked it up and honestly, I think I gave up too soon with him. I began showing Adam signs when he was four months old, with no reaction from him at all. My family thought I was a complete kook and more than once did I catch my husband rolling his eyes behind my back when I would sign "milk" while he nursed or "more" while feeding him. When Adam was 11 months old he signed "milk" to me and started using that pretty consistently. I started learning more signs and began tivoing the show Signing Time, turning that on while I cook dinner. In the past two weeks, Adam has been signing up a storm. He now signs: please, thank you, more, milk, eat, daddy, mommy, airplane, dog, cat, bird, bath, baby, bottle, water, drink, and car. Here he is signing bird while meeting a goose at the park. I LOVE that he can do this AND his brother is picking the signs up as well. My husband no longer rolls his eyes at me and signs with them too. So, now we have jumped on the signing bandwagon, I wish I had kept it up with Jacob. Thank you Signing Time lady for teaching my baby to communicate...I can't wait to see what his next "word" will be.

4 comments:

Shane H. said...

How cool is that?! What channel do you Signing Time on? I've never heard of it.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

We did it with Evan, too. He got pretty good at it. My kids seem to talk really young, so they faded off by 18-20 months or so, but he was able to communicate so much better so early on! And my nieces have both signed before speaking. It's awesome.

andria said...

Signing Time is on PBS. It comes on Sunday mornings here.

kelly jeanie said...

Awesome! That's so great that you're able to communicate with Adam that way. We've been working on a few signs with Owen but not very consistently. He does "more" now, and "all done" sometimes, and "eat" once. I'm definitely going to look for that show.