Friday, April 27, 2007

Part Two - The Best Surprise

So, where were we?

Ah...a girl or a boy? That was the question.


You've heard me bitch talk about it several times and that morning was no different. Everyone wanted to know what we were having from the lady who took my pre-op blood to the nurses and passersby, anesthesiologists and doctors. No one could believe that in this age of technological breakthroughs we would decline the early knowledge of baby three's gender. So, when the doctor came in scrubbed and ready, he leaned down over my numb body and asked "the question." When I told him I didn't know he told me that he could not remember how long ago it was that he had been to a "surprise" birth and how excited he was that we were going to all be surprised that day. He asked my thoughts and I told him I thought it was a boy and he asked why. I explained that, aside from the obvious other two boys, that my favorite after-school television show was My Three Sons. The doctor seemed surprised that I even knew that show existed so we had a mini quiz-and-answer where I answered even the tough ones with ease. The doctor then pronounced that I was fated to have three sons and I agreed, although my anesthesiologist friends were split and the PA and nurse felt I needed a girl "for balance". It was actually quite fun and Elizabeth put in her two cents by flopping all over and impressing the crew with her acrobatics. I had been really nervous to find out the gender after all that waiting and I wondered what my reaction would be to either announcement. Part of me wanted a girl, being my last baby and all, and another part wanted a boy, because I just love my little boys so, but by the time they began the surgery I was ready. My husband was ready. People I had just met were ready. It took the doctor much longer to get to the baby this time, scar tissue and all, so the wait was a bit nerve wracking. He also took a long pause when he was ready to retrieve her to tell us this was it and she was on her way. I could feel them pulling her out and kept listening and he finally said "We have hair, lots of hair" I about jumped out of my skin because I was expecting boy or girl definitely NOT hair, so I proceeded to get excited about a hairy baby, having had only bald babies in the past, and almost missed the official verdict. In fact, I think I did miss it as the anesthesiologists and my husband practically pushed each other out of the way as she was being born to see for themselves when everyone started cheering and clapping...THEN I heard him say "It looks like a girl" and I broke down and bawled like a newborn baby myself. Apparently I wanted a girl more than I realized or maybe the excitement was just too much for me but, thank goodness, I wasn't strapped down because I truly needed tissues at that point.

What happened next, though, truly surprised me. I looked over to find my husband crying just as much, if not more, than I was. I was stunned. It never really dawned on me that he could have been wanting a daughter, but apparently he was. Like the Grinch, my heart grew three sizes for him at that moment and I, naturally, bawled some more. Then I looked around and saw that the women were crying too. Once the husband took the baby out to meet the family (which I am sad I missed those excited brothers), the doctor told me that ours was the best delivery he had done in a very long time and that he rarely sees that pure emotion from the excitement of the surprise since most people don't wait anymore, and that my husband made his day over his uninhibited joy to have a daughter.


I am so glad we waited for the surprise. We had tons of fun throughout the pregnancy wondering who would be joining us. I know the husband wanted to know ahead of time and maybe that would have made us a little more prepared room wise, clothing wise, and name wise, but that fleeting moment when we met her AND found out what she was, was one of the best of my life. The last real surprise in life they say and for us it really was.


14 comments:

Lori said...

What an amazing and beautiful story!!! I think I may need to take a break from reading your blog (NOT!!)...you're making me want to try for just *one* more (no matter boy or girl!).

See....God gave you the child that *belongs* in your family...can you imagine life without her now? I bet not!

Sadie said...

Wow, what a great story!

I've always thought I would want to find out beforehand when that time comes, but you may have changed my mind! I'll at least think about it now.

kelly jeanie said...

Yeah, what Sadie said. :) I just figured if we had another one I'd find out, but...thanks, Andria, this was really a sweet story.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Aren't you proud of yourself for writing it down so soon after birth? Awesome. You'll have a great record for yourself and her.

Hope things are going well!

Lynsey said...

Again, I am so envious of you guys for keeping it a surprise! After reading that, we definitely need to make the next one a surprise. Such a wonderful story!!!

JNas said...

Great story! You have a lot of strength to be able to hold out and be surprised!!

I am curious of how you dealt with the clothes situation. Did you buy clothes that were for either gender or did people run out and buy you things?

Michelle said...

What a beautiful story! Make sure you have that written down in the baby book too :)

We elected not to find out the gender either; I wanted to be surprised at delivery (let me tell you that drove my MIL crazy that we wouldn't find out!) I think I had 4 or 5 ultrasounds and at each one we made sure to tell them before they started, "we don't want to know the sex!" I so enjoyed finding out at birth...glad you had a wonderful experience too!

Shane H. said...

What a wonderful post! Almost makes me want to try one more time for a girl.........nah! I'll just keep enjoying my two boys. But, I as so very happy for you. I dearly love the name you chose too. I hope the boys are adjusting well. Post a picture of the three of them soon. Take care.

Sue said...

What a great story. I love how your husband got so emotional knowing he had a daughter. I have 2 girls and hubby loves having Daddy's Little Girls. So many people assume men want boys-boys-boys. I'm sure they all do for one reason or another. But what so many fail to realize is that they most want girls too.

Congrats on your Baby Girl!

Shane H. said...

Love the new threesome picture at the top of the blog!

Pelf said...

Aww.. So sweet... I cried the part your husband cried.. I mean, men don't get all teary easily except for some extreme moment, no? :)

Anyway, congratulations!

Anytime you're changing your blog title?

Miss Hope said...

Beautiful telling of her story.

Lynanne said...

Even I cried happy tears when reading this. We didn't find out the gender of our first child so I remember how exciting that moment was. Thank you for sharing your story - it is beautiful!! I agree that you'll have to copy it down for the baby book.

Amie said...

Ohhh...what a sweet story :D

We have found out 3 times, and were surprised 2 times. I love both ways. But at least you didn't have to go thru the "what if the u/s is wrong?" worrying if you would of found out this time.