Thursday, May 23, 2019

Sick

I hate Facebook this time of the year.  

I am 50 years old.   I give no more fucks.

The 34 pictures from every angle and every step to the stage as your child receives the Best Student Ever?   I don't want to see that.   The thousands of cords breaking your kid's back in his graduation gown?   I don't want to see that.   The fistsfull of awards?   Nope not that either.    I just do not give one fucking shit about that.   Yes, I know it's your Facebook page and you can post whatever you want on it and I encourage you to do so, just know I scroll right past or in certain cases I have blocked you altogether.

You would think after YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS of my children barely scraping by I would be used to this but you know what?....it just gets worse.    Every year I think THIS will be his, his, and her year.    Please sweet Jesus remind me in August that it will NEVER be their year.    My kids have no passion for anything.  They are not smart.   They do not care about others and they have no character to speak of.   I know this because they have no awards for it.     I guess in a way it's a good thing because I can go to the bar and have drinks with my friends on awards night.   Well, I could only in theory because my friends are all at school watching their own kids get awards.  

One of my children is failing the 12th grade at the finish line because he has a point to prove and another one is failing math and has to go to summer school because instead of turning in her homework papers we spend hours a night doing SHE THROWS THEM AWAY.    My other child doesn't want to do sports anymore because he has to be at the school all summer at 7 am and ain't nobody got time for that.

Where do you get those children who have drive and ambition?   I want to exchange mine.

I hope all your Facebook pictures make you feel like a fantastic parent because they should.    All they do for me is make me contemplate foster homes for mine because, obviously, this is something I did.

I am 50 years old.   I give no more fucks.

 I refuse to throw out all that touchy feely shit about my lazy children, how I am proud of them no matter what because, you know what?   I am not.   If that makes me a bad parent then I am a bad parent.   All three of these children could do so much more than what they are doing they just refuse to do it.    Where will this lead them?   The best I can hope for is skate by and be average and I would be OKAY with that but they could excel.   Why won't they?  

What they tell me is, "Why bother?"   The same kids win the same shit every year.   If you don't start out winning in first grade you never win.    I watch my preschool parents retain their perfectally capable and smart children because they want them to be  farther ahead of the others so they can win the awards (no joke).  

Don't be expecting any pictures of my children this month.      While your children have been busy getting every single award every year, my kids' motivation and esteem fell until they no longer want to attempt because it hurts less when you lose and you don't try.   Trust me.  Next  year I won't even try.  




No comments: