Saturday, February 11, 2006

Attachment Parenting

When we first got pregnant with Jacob a friend of mine gave me the book Baby Wise. The author's point, at least how I saw it, was that the child was coming to live in your world, not vice versa and so had to be taught to live your way. This was pure genius in my eyes. Of course I didn't have any children then. Once Jacob was born the NICU nurses seemed to follow this same course of a 3 - 4 hour block of time in which baby sleeps, eats, plays. One of the nice nurses even commented to me that we would thank her later on because Jacob was so scheduled and could be laid (lay, lain?) down to sleep so easily. Then we brought him home. We tried to lay him down and go about our business but that didn't happen. We had a screaming, unhappy, colicky baby who apparently had not read Baby Wise at all! After consulting many books (I could open a library) we just experimented with different things until we stumbled across something that would work. This resulted in a co-sleeping, baby always held, fed on demand baby. It certainly wasn't the way we had pictured it, but it worked and the crying stopped so we went with it. Imagine my surprise when pregnant with Adam I ran across a book called Attachment Parenting by Dr. Sears. This is what we had been doing with Jacob and it actually had a name so we didn't feel like horrible parents after all....this, of course, was the way we would raise Adam as well. It worked like a charm! Adam slept his requisite 3-4 hours, woke to eat and then back to sleep again. We didn't encounter the 6 hour crying jags that we did with Jacob. He was a much happier baby day and night so we were patting ourselves on the back for having done EXACTLY what this baby needed. Yada, yada, yada fast forward one year. I haven't slept more than 5 hours at a stretch in 12 months and I am still breastfeeding. Now that my sweet baby has been sick he wants to eat every couple hours, much like those first few weeks. I put my foot down last night when he awoke at 12:03 tugging at my shirt. Now according to Dr. Sears the way to break a night feeder is to look him in the eye, pull your shirt down, and say firmly, yet lovingly, no more boobies at night, nighttime is for sleeping, you may eat in the morning, good night (or something along those lines). Apparently Adam did not read Attachment Parenting either because this just ticked him off. Finally Derick took him downstairs to the chair to rock him, he wasn't having that either and forget about Dad, he wanted Mom and he wasn't letting go of that dream. SOOOO, the screaming continued most of the night. I think he finally fell asleep around 4:30 so to Dr. Ferber, crying it out doesn't work either. Please Dr. Sears tell me what to do now!!!

No comments: