Wednesday, May 21, 2008

An Hour With One Friend is Better Than Ten With Strangers

Two and a half years ago I started my little ole blog as a way to post pictures and post funny things my kids were doing while my husband worked out of state three weeks out of the month. Adam was about six months old when he started his little work, let's say "adventure", and he did miss out on a lot. A few months later when the blog started to become more of an outlet for my single parent angst, he kind of quit reading so much.

And nobody else did either for a while.

Eventually, though, a few people found me, and some actually came back for more.

When my mom had her "episode" the first people to console me were through the internet. When I got pregnant unexpectedly, the internet encouraged me. When my sons have issues, the internets have advice, and when I had a baby girl, I got more well wishes from the computer than in my real life.

All this time I thought I had no friends here but I was wrong. I have lots of friends. It's just not that easy to crack open a beer with them that's all.

But now I can finally say I had a beer with a friend this weekend......



Although my mom warned me that I could be meeting one of the Dateline predators last weekend, I met Lynsey for lunch while she was in Houston for a visit.



Even though her baby sleeps twelve hours a night, I still like her. And him. I could kiss his cheeks all day long. And he'd be okay with that because he's such a sweet laid back baby. I was really hoping some of his demeanor might rub off on Elizabeth, encourage her to sleep a little more, sit still some more....

But alas, she's just as ornery as ever.



Before Adam ate all the fortune cookies, I was able to snag one and my fortune read:

"An hour with one friend is better than ten with strangers."

That. Was a good fortune.

Thanks friend. That was a good hour (or two).

9 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

How fun! I'm glad you had a great time. I love the pictures. All the babies are adorable :)

Lynsey said...

*shiff sniff* love this post. Wish I could've seen you guys a little more, and had more beers together of course. Next time, good friend.
Love,
Lynsey

Mommy Daisy said...

That sounds like an awesome time. I love the photo of the two of you with the kids. It's great. Being a SAHM is a lonely job. Meeting new friends is always exciting!

Sarah said...

How wonderful!! I love when you can meet someone and have that connection. So glad for you!

Sorry the attitude didn't rub off on Elizabeth. If it had worked I might've paid to have that baby come here for a day *G*

Crazed Nitwit said...

I'm glad you had this chance to meet. How fun! I feel alone often as well. My friends and support are mostly online but they're great.

JaniceNW~new blog

Shane H. said...

How cool is that!

Burgh Baby said...

Bloggy meet-ups are the best, no doubt about it. If only you lived in Pittsburgh . . .

Aunt Becky said...

I'm coming to Texas at some point. And I EXPECT to see you!

Miss Hope said...

Everytime I hope some good child vibes will rub off on my boy? It ends up being the opposite way and the other kid ends up being a partner in crime with my kid.

Dangit.