Thursday, November 06, 2008

FYI

If you own a dog and are currently paying $240 bucks a year for monthly flea pills, just know that flea pills DO NOT kill or prevent fleas. That cute little puppy at the summer camp is liar! I know this is fact because A. We have fleas. and B. A call to the vet confirmed that it's not completely effective if you do things like take your dog outside. Seriously.

Me: "I think my animals have fleas and I'm wondering how that's possible since he's been taking a flea pill for, oh, about five years now."
Vet Tech: "Does Ezra go outside?"
Me: "Uh, yeah. Sometimes."
Vet Tech: "Is he walked?"
Me: "Uh, yeah. Sometimes."
Vet Tech: "Then you run the risk of him getting some fleas."
Me: "But he's taking that flea pill that was recommended for him."
Vet Tech: "uh-huh"
Me: "Shouldn't he NOT have fleas?"
Vet Tech: "Well.....Does he go outside?"
Me: "Yeah"
Vet Tech: "Then that's where he got the fleas."

WTF?

I'm still waiting for her to call me back with the information about the so-called miracle pill that will rid my dog AND my cat of this foulness because did you also know that flea powders, flea shampoos, and flea collars sold at the big red store of goodness do not work. Oh no. I'd just be wasting my money on those things. They need a pill. Because, you know, those pills worked so well for them before.

Fleas and smoke.

I might as well just live in a damn barn.

5 comments:

Sadie said...

You could move to Colorado. We don't have fleas.

I used to use the liquid that you put on their necks (Advantage, I think). Worked as far as I knew.

Heather said...

We used those drops on our cats. It made one of my cats seriously ill. We decided to forget all those types of flea treatments and went back to flea collars. They work just as well as those expensive drops.

Lynanne said...

Can you put a flea collar on your MIL? Do they make febreez collars?

Shane H. said...

Our vet did give our dogs a pill that killed all fleas that were on them within 48 hours. The pills don't prevent new fleas from getting on them though. I feel your frustration!!

Erin said...

I use the pills that are a combo for heartworm and fleas. Seem to work, but it's also much cooler up here, so there's a shorter time for fleas to thrive.