Monday, August 21, 2006

What to do, what to do.....

Another week....

Why does the time go so quickly now that I am so old? I don't remember weeks passing like this as a child. Remember when someone would tell you it was three weeks until Christmas and it was like a small lifetime to you? Now you hear three weeks until Christmas and you are scrambling to get everything done. If it just keeps getting faster I shudder to think about what it will be like when I am, say, 60.

Anyway, it's a big day here. Today should be the day we find out if we are moving to Columbus. We have finally figured out the logistics and although it might be a bit of a stretch, I think we can do it. We might have to live on rice and beans and the kids might have to give up their love of fresh produce, but I think we can manage (i.e. hanging on by the edge of our splitting fingernails). The cost of living is a lot higher up there (you wouldn't think so, but it is) and our mortgage payment, well, la, la, la, la, la, la (picture me covering my ears) it won't be that cough, cough bad. Will I have to go back to work?....maybe, but for now I think we have things figured out in that dreamy "life will be grand" way but then you get there and realize, what the hell did we just do? I have to say the thought of being within three hours of my old friends and family does make me a little bit giddy and that, maybe, just maybe, my parents can watch my kids on the weekends when we might want to GASP, go to a movie makes my head spin. We have never even met a babysitter here, we do nothing if it's not with the kids. How nice it would be to eat out without having to corral and conquer.

But seriously, aside from the money thing, I am worried about Jacob. Like, a lot. His is doing well in school and making a lot of progress, but I fear moving him away from everything he has ever known might scar him for life. There is no way in hell we would be able to afford private school there so he would have to go to the full day kindergarten at the public school. He is not ready for that. He barely makes it through his three and a half hours as it is. Plus, starting a new school even at the beginning of the year is bad enough, but mid-year, it's like social suicide. I know, I know, we don't even know if Derick will get the job yet, but you gotta know my angle by now, I MUST plan everything! I have to know every possible scenario before I make a commitment. I am just weird that way.

But the good news is that they have Skyline Chili there. It's worth it just for that isn't it?


Well, keep your fingers crossed.......

6 comments:

OneHungMan said...

Why do the minutes seem like hours yet the years seem like days???

Can't really help you with the money or the Jacob thing. All OneHung can say is this, chances are, you'll find a way to make the money work...people always seem to; and children are resilient. Hung thinks parents tend to worry about these things more than the little ones.

Jacob probably won't like the thought of it, but once he gets in a new routine, he won't even remember the way things were.

kelly jeanie said...

I hope he gets it! I'm sure Jacob will be fine.

Michelle said...

Oh wow what a tough decision you have coming up!

I can understand your hesitancy about moving during the school year...I've done it a few times growing up in the military. I think I turned out ok :) It might be hard at first, but in the grand scheme of things kids learn to adjust and roll with the punches!

Sending prayers that all works out the way you want it to!

Shane H. said...

My husband was born in Columbus! He moved to WV when he was 5 or 6. Being close to family and friends will be so great for you (and your family). We moved from WV to SC the very last day of Garrett's kindergarten. I'm glad we did it when he was so young instead of now. The younger the better I think. Let us know what happens!!

Lynsey said...

I wish you all the best no matter what happens.

sweet memories said...

reading your blog, your family obviously comes first in your life and if the quality of happiness is better in ohio, 'god' or someone above must help jacob adjust, because you do everything as a mother to care for your family, I see it in your writing.....you will make the right choice, I will say a prayer for you and your family that the decision will come your way...