I guess Thursday will just be my regular blogging day from now on. Seriously. I don't mean to go a week between posts, it just happens. Life just happens. And in my life, along with the cleaning, cooking, shuttling, and child-rearing, Facebook happens.
Facebook sucks a good bit of what little free time I have. I have tried to give it up, but I really do need to know what all 92 of my friends are doing every day and I just know they are waiting on the edge of their seats for my latest updates. Just nod and agree with me.
As of today, I have been on Facebook for a whole year. I created my account at the invitation of a friend under the ruse or COME SEE MY AWESOME PHOTOS!! And being the nosy ass person that I am, I signed up JUST TO SEE THOSE PHOTOS. Really. I mean, what was Facebook if not another My Space and, geez louise, I am wwaayy too old for My Space.
But then I checked it again a week later because I got an email, MORE PHOTOS!, and I had some friend requests. Me? Friend requests? Who doesn't want to be requested to be another's friend? So I accepted and began keeping in daily touch with high school/college friends I hadn't seen in years. YEARS! I didn't know what they did those twenty years since we'd seen one another, but I instantly knew what they had for breakfast most mornings.
And that was it. I was hooked.
But here I am, a year later, and I'm wondering if there is a Facebook for Dummies book I can check out from the library.
Is there a Facebook etiquette book out there? Because I need to know the following:
1. Applications. What's up with those? I liked My Little Green Patch last spring when I had six friends and could click my new plants every day within three minutes. But I currently have thirty-two plants waiting for me and that might take me, well, forever to add so they just sit there mocking me in the upper right corner every time I log on. What happens if I don't accept them? Does a notification shoot back to the giver saying ANDRIA DOES NOT WANT YOUR PLANT! SHE IS A BAD FRIEND!? Am I bad person because I don't want to throw some Mardi Gras beads? At my next job interview will they be able to find out which 80's movie defines me? To apply or not to apply? That is the question.
2. Memes. Now, ya'll know I love a good meme. I mean, why do I blog if not to talk about myself some more? No one can accuse me of having low self-esteem. But I do know some people hate them with every fiber of their being so to tag or not to tag? If I don't tag I feel like I'm letting all my friends think that I don't really want to know 25 thing about them, but if I tag, are they going to be mad because they have another request in their corner? I do have to confess. If someone else gets tagged and I don't, I do wonder, does this person not like me anymore? Did I offend? Okay. Maybe a little self-esteem issue.
3. Friend requests. Let's just start by saying I have not friended anyone I didn't want to friend. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here. I think it's cool if you read my blog and you want to friend me. I'll accept your friend request. If you turn out to be a weirdo, I'll just defriend you. I like that I have new friends now that I wouldn't have without FB. What confuses me, though, is people I barely knew years and years ago, some of whom were downright mean to me, who send me a friend request. WTH? Now, maybe if they added something like, HEY, I KNOW I TREATED YOU LIKE CRAP IN JUNIOR HIGH, I'M SORRY, LET'S BE FRIENDS., then maybe, but an anonymous friend request to add to three hundred others? That kinda reeks of a popularity contest to me. Does whoever have the most friends win? But then how do I look if everyone else I went to school with is friending that person and I'm the lone hold out? Does that make me a b*tch? Which brings me to...
4. Friend suggestions. WHAT? Okay, I can see where this might be helpful to someone who hasn't noticed the search box at the top, but seriously, can I just decide for myself if I want to friend someone? I don't know what to do about the friend suggestion. If I don't want to be friends with the suggested one, I can ignore it sure, but doesn't the friend who sent it to me know I didn't take her suggestion? Does that just say HEY, WHY THE HECK DOES SHE THINK I'D BE FRIENDS WITH HER? GAWD. SHE MUST BE OUT OF HER MIND. I SHALL IGNORE THIS BECAUSE HER SUGGESTION IS LAME! And then do those friends talk about me behind my back on the chat and wonder why I didn't friend? I said I didn't have any self-esteem issues. Shush.
5. Games I just want to add here that Word Twist, Scavenger Hunt, and Hatchlings are a huge time suck and I want to defriend whoever invited me to play in the first place. Not really. But please. Do not invite me to play any different games. I'm stepping away from Parking Wars. I don't care how much fun that looks. But if you want to try and beat me at Word Twist, bring it on.
Are you on Facebook? Are you as confused as I am or am I just old for this?
Excuse while I update my status.....
When She's Good, I Seem Crazy
17 hours ago