Sunday, February 20, 2022

Ez

 


Today is my sweet Schmoo-Schmoo Ezra's birthday.    

This picture was taken on his last birthday.   2012.   I can't believe it's been ten years without him.   

I swear  he hung on so long because of those kids, things were better when he was here.   Jacob didn't handle his death well and, really, neither did Derick.   He cried more that day than he did when his mother passed five months later.   

He was a pretty fantastic dog, just saying. 

Anyway, my kids are either grown (Jacob) or about to be (Adam) or old enough to decide her childhood was absolutely horrible (guess who?).    On a long road trip a few weeks ago they started reminiscing about Max and Ruby and Schlitterbahn and how none of them eat waffles with syrup because I never allowed it when the discussion took a turn.   According to their memories their dad stopped liking them in  2013.   Right around the time the dog and the mom died.   Hmmmm.....I never really noticed it but they may have a point.  I know he loves his kids but it was around then that he started to check out.   I mean, who could blame him?   But now, what do I do with this information about the feelings they have been harboring?  What could I have been doing for them then instead of obliviously going on with life?   

So.   

Ten years.   Eventually I'll have more about that time.  No one has been abused or scarred but now I can look back and see where I didn't always make the best choices for us.   The past is the past and I won't dwell on it, but it effected them.   More than I thought.  

No comments: