Saturday, September 20, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me

I am forty today.

Yippee.

For almost a year we have planned my fortieth birthday. We would have a big party at my usual birthday restaurant and celebrate because, WOW, forty! Who says you have to depressed over it? The husband was going to take care of it all because no one should plan their own birthday party right?

Two weeks ago the husband was once able to focus on a little more than his own impending work-related doom to let me know that "with all he had going on" he didn't invite anyone to my party. Sorry. Since he also cares so much about etiquette, he refused to pick up the phone and invite anyone then because it would be too rude to give such short notice. Whatever.

Of course that doesn't matter now since most everyone we know is still out of town. I'll take husband forgot the party over no one wanted to come any day.

So two weeks ago we came up with Plan B. We'd stick with tradition and head to Galveston like we do every year for my birthday but this time we'd go all out and rent a beach house for a long weekend on Crystal Beach right here:



And we can't go with our usual Plan C:



And Plan D, drinking beer while watching the Mountaineers play, was moved to Thursday. And it wasn't fun.

So it's my birthday today.

Yippee.

I will spend it at my house with my family like every other Saturday before it.

But I will appreciate it so much more because at least it's still there.

18 comments:

Miss Hope said...

Happy Birthday, Andria. Sorry your plans fell through, but I like your thinking style. I'll raise a toast to you tonight as I spend my anniversary being miserable at my hubby's "work" function.

Erika Jurney said...

I think you've got the right perspective, but I'm sorry your plans didn't work out as you expected.

Happy Birthday!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I'm sorry it isn't more special for you... For what it's worth, I had to check the blog name several times and actually click over from Bloglines before I believed that it was YOUR blog I was reading, because there is NO WAY you are 40. You Must have meant 30 because honey, you look SO YOUNG!! I am serious!!

Ok, that was meant as a cheer you up, but I hope it didn't come out as "Oh my God! You're OLD!!" Because I've found, as I age, that those bigger numbers that sounded so far away at 20? Yeah... Somehow, 50, 60 and even 70 don't sound so old anymore...

Happy Birthday!!!

Erin said...

Happy birthday. I'm sorry about the plans, but I'm glad your house(s) are okay. Is that the Kemah boardwalk?

Mommy Daisy said...

That is a bit of a let-down, but Happy Birthday anyway! I hope you still get to do something fun! And you SO do not look like you're even close enough to be 40! (At least you have that going for you.)

Amie said...

Aw, man everybody deserves a huge bash for their 40th :(

Happy Birthday!

L said...

Happy Birthday regardless.
Hope you find something fun to do anyway.

Aunt Becky said...

Happy Birthday, Andria. I'm sorry that all your plans didn't work out. Perhaps you can do an anniversary of your 40th birthday party in a couple months when things have calmed down. Because, seriously, it needs to be celebrated.

Lynsey said...

atta girl! Who needs a big party when you've got a gorgeous family and your house is still standing?! Happy 40th Birthday Andria! Throw the kids in bed early tonight and open some wine. That's my suggestion. :)

Kether said...

Happy Birthday!

I'd ask for a do-over. But that's just me. I'm a birthday hog, especially because I have to share mine with dh.

I guess I'm supposed to say that what matters is you're healthy and happy and all that =)

Kether said...

Oh, and I was totally shocked that you're 40. Totally.

kelly jeanie said...

Happy birthday!! Add me to the "shocked you're 40" club. I'm so glad you guys survived. Those pictures are so sad.

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday!

OneHungMan said...

Happy Birthday, Andria.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Sorry your birthday plans weren't what they should have been. I hope you had a great day anyway!! Happy Birthday to you :)

Dana said...

Ok, that stinks that the plans were ruined but 40?!?! What the heck? You've GOT to be kidding me! There's no way you're 40. I think you must have made a "my plans got ruined" mistake because there is just no way you can be 40! I NEVER would have guessed. I just knew you were about my age but probably younger..... Let me just say....Happy Birthday! You look FABULOUS!

Michelle said...

a very happy belated 40th birthday to you!

Lynanne said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope it was grand despite the change in venue.