Wednesday, September 03, 2008

This is a Hairy Situation

What do you do with a baby girl when her hair gets in the way?

Seriously.

What do you do?

When the boys were Elizabeth's age and their hair began to grow past their eyebrows, we took them to the funhouse hair cut place with cameras in tow. Little boys took the place of my little babies, tears were shed, and then we returned to our car to head home and go about our lives until the next cut six weeks later. Lather, rinse, repeat for the past sevenish years.

What do I do with Elizabeth?

Ninety percent of her day is spent at home like this:



But sometimes I need to dress her and take her out and she's gotten quite a few, "Wow, your hair is really growing!" comments lately and a few, "Baby, can you see?" from some old bitties who did not offer to fix her hair for her.



What? Straggly's not in?

I am not well versed in the girly way of things. My boymom brain tells me to take her to the funhouse for a trim, but I'm afraid she'd come out of there looking like a boy, you know, since my boys came out of there looking like boys. I've tried to make some ponytails, but they didn't look good. I had a hair bow once. I thought it was cute, but I don't think Elizabeth liked it much. She lost it pretty soon after this picture was taken.



Is there some sort of manual I should be receiving soon about how to do girl hair? If you have the key to this mystery, please share your knowledge because according to the old bitties she can't learn with all that hair in her eyes and, geez, I sure don't want that. Do you know where I can purchase some girly hair products that will stay put in superfine girly hair? And do they come with step-by-step directions?

My girl would really appreciate your help in this urgent matter.

12 comments:

MARY-ANN said...

My niece is 2 1/2 and she has this crazy head of dark brown curly hair thats to her butt and it will actually stay in ponytails and such but within half hour or so havining them in she rips them out. Her hair is always in her face to the point when she talks to you she holds it out of the way now hahaha but still she rips out everything everybody outs in puts in her hair. We call her our little Wild Woman!
It drives us crazy especially at stores like you said when the old ladies come up and say "My what wild hair you have, I can't even see your pretty little eyes" and then they glare at you hahaha
Good Luck I dont think there's much you can do :-)

Miss Hope said...

I love me some little girl hair!!! I'm sure it's fine and hard to manage. You need some itty bitty claw clips....at claire's or walmart...anywhere like that. Take a fine tooth comb and comb the bangs up, twist them to the side and clip in.

The best advice I can give ANYONE with a little girl is if you don't want to do the hair salon every 4-6 weeks? Let the bangs grow on out and let it be one length. Holy cow that was the best thing I ever did. It'll be a HUGE P.I.T.A. to do it, but so worth it in the end. I promise!


p.s. I wasn't against using a touch of hair spray to make it sticky for the hair bow to have something to grab and stay with.

Aunt Becky said...

I laugh because I have NO IDEA. My fetus is now feverishly hoping that it's male.

Amie said...

I thought I commented once, but it didn't show up...

Anyways...we have the same exact issue. I bought those teeny tiny rubber bands, and I pull the top of her hair into a pony tail and than clip it down with a barrette. It works pretty good.

And while I am tempted to cut her bangs so she will look like Suri Cruise, I know I would regret it and I want her bangs to grow out.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Make the decision to have short or long hair on her now. If you want to trim her bangs, do it. No big deal!

I am anxiously awaiting Corinne's hair to grow MORE so we can do more things with it. As is she. She longs for looooong ponytails and braids...

Basically, I have nothing for you. Just, well, wet it with spit and slick it back occasionally?

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do don't cut it yourself (I'm a veteran of the "OOPS, I SLIPPED" haircut)

I'd take her for a bang trim and have them trim the bottom just to make it even, you can make the long or short decision later

Heidi said...

You are so funny because you are the opposite of me. I am struggling on how to get a boy's hair cut. They have all these clippers with numbers & I just don't have a clue, so he just looks like a girl. My daughter was easy. I would say if you don't want bangs then go with the clip to the side. The bow might be heavy & she feels it on her head and rips it off, so go with something lighter.

L said...

Well, it looks like one of two choices...bangs or hair clips. What seems more convenient for you?
Personally, I think I might do bangs. I can't really have bangs becase f my curl so i covet them on straight haired people.
But I'm a boymom, don't listen to me.

Shane H. said...

As you know, I'm a boy mom but I do have two nieces. My 3 year old niece has super fine hair as well. Virtually nothing stays put without the help of a little hairspray. Yep! Hairspray in a 3 year olds hair....just for fancy occassions though. As far as the bangs go, trim them just to her eyebrows. She'll still look girly and they won't get in her way. Hope this helps.

SydneyDawn said...

I can't help you out too much, since I only have boys, but my sister used to pull my neice's hair up on the top of her head and use a tiny pony tail holder on it. It looked like a water fountain spray until she finally started getting some length, but it was cute and stayed out of her face.

Lynsey said...

you should've seen my rats nest growing up....oy. and by the way, Sarah Palins husband IS to die for. Agreed.

I Am Boymom said...

My sister and I had hair like that when we were little, now my neice does. Hers looks really good cut in a little "bob" or a "wedge" style. It keeps the straggly look at bay and really gives her hair some shape and body. Even if you decide to grow her hair out, keeping it trimmed at the ends will help eliminate the straggly issue. My boys like low maintenance, so I just shave their heads when their hair gets long. Good luck!