Wednesday, July 26, 2006

West Virginia Vacation - Part 2

We spent an afternoon at the Good Zoo one day. It is a lovely place in Oglebay Park in Wheeling. We have been there about every single time we have been back to WV, so Jacob chose to spend his time inside at the train exhibit, snack counter, and gift shop with his Gammy, go figure. Therefore, you won't see many pictures of him. Teresa and her crew had never been there, so since she was driving, that was where we went.


Our first stop, of course, was the train
It used to be an awesome train ride, worth the extra $1.25 you pay to board, this time we saw one sleeping (at least I hope it was sleeping) animal and then we rode through a bunch of over grown brush. Nice. The kids liked it though. Adam was thrilled. He kept signing car and babbling his head off.
Jacob probably would have enjoyed it more (yeah, he wouldn't miss the train, but the animals are such a yawn) had Linsey not spent the entire time poking her finger in his ear. I found this particularly interesting as we (Adam, my mom, and I) were sitting behind them and witnessed the entire thing, yet everytime he'd complain Linsey would deny it and my sister would call him a liar. I kept picturing myself pushing them both to the wolves, but alas, we never saw the wolves. They must have moved them because of people like me.

Anywho.....the Good Zoo is a pretty small zoo. There are no lions, no giraffes, no elephants. We did see a variety of birds, an ocelot, a kangaroo exhibit, your basic farm animals, and a bear.
Can you see that bear? Yep, he's sleeping. In fact, every animal in the place was sleeping. Kind of made me nostalgic for the lion here at our zoo that likes to pounce at the glass at us and pee for everyone to see. We did come across a deer habitat. We could actually go inside and feed the deer. Now, we could have done pretty much the same thing in my parent's backyard, but my sister really wanted to go in and spend all her extra quarters for a bunch of smelly pellets so the kids could feed the deer so we did. Did I mention that the zoo is in West Virginia and WV is full of hills? Yeah, after giving our lungs a work out hiking up that hill to the deer, we let the kids loose and don't you know my little Adam went chasing after a deer so excitedly that he went tumbling down the hill (after eating most of his pellet handful). The screaming scared the deer away so we threw our pellets in the grass and took off out of there with my bloody kid in tow. He scraped his forehead and banged his hands and fingers all up, trying to catch himself I guess. After that point I was pretty much done with the zoo, but my brother-in-law had to see EVERYTHING. What is it about men that they have to stop and read EACH AND EVERY SIGN? Come on! You know that's a cow, let's go already. I swear I almost chewed my own hand off in the Smithsonian one time with my husband. I actually laid (lay, lain? I never do remember that one) on the floor kind of hoping that would give him a little sign that I was done, and crap, my feet hurt, but NO, he read EVERY sign. Anyway, where was I? Oh, so that was pretty much it for the zoo trip. I have other pictures to post but blogger has quit allowing me to post pictures today so I will finish those tomorrow.




**and no, that is not Elvis sitting with Abigail! That is my brother-in-law who is going through a huge Harley midlife crisis phase. He thinks he looks cool. I just know that he scared the beejesus out of my kids when they first saw him.

4 comments:

Shane H. said...

Your "Elvis" bil is a riot. How funny. Sounds like the kids had a great time, even if all the animals were snoozing.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Holy crap. Well, it may not have been the best day ever, but it sure makes for a great blog entry to read!! :)

sweet memories said...

what a wondeful day! I love going to zoos, every since I was a little girl, memories of the Bronx zoo with my dad..I always wanted to take him back there for fathers day..maybe next year....

kelly jeanie said...

Andria, you take great pics.

Men read signs that are written...but if your DH is anything like mine, he's not so good at the ones we try to give without words...like laying on the floor as a sign you're tired and ready to go...