Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Laura



My sister's stepdaughter passed away in September. It wasn't completely unexpected; she had been sick her whole life and her parents were told from the beginning that they could expect about 18 years with her. She almost made it to 15. In the back of your mind, you know this is the reality, but when it happens it is still a shock. Laura spent her last four months in St. Louis waiting for a lung transplant. This was our beacon of hope for her and no one thought she wouldn't get one. She was top of the list and a child at that, we took it all in stride, she would get her lungs in the summer and get back in time to start high school in the fall. Her heart ended up giving out from the strain before that transplant came. We went to Florida right after Hurricane Rita to be there for the services and to try to comfort my sister and her family. I have to say it was one of the worst things we have ever had to deal with as a family.

Jacob was really close to Laura. He always looked forward to seeing her because she was just so good to him. I did not bring him to any of the services, I felt he was too young. We played air hockey in the church's fellowship hall during the funeral and watched as they released balloons...I think that will be a better memory for him one day. We had explained to him as best we could what had happened to Laura and that she wouldn't be coming back. I don't think he really understood what we were talking about and we thought it was best not to dwell on it and just answer his questions when they came. Well, six months later the questions begin. Most of yesterday was spent talking about Laura and I think he really needed to do that. He continues to talk about her today and I think it makes him happy to do so. He still believes Laura is coming back and will argue if you say no, but he does know she is in Heaven and he thinks that is cool. I found this picture to show him, I am going to send it off so he can have a copy for his room and I am also going to place one in his baby book. I hope that he can hold on to the memories he has of her as he gets older, yet I fear they will fade away because he was so young.

1 comment:

andria said...

What a nice way to remember your neice and for her siblings to as well. My sister has a three year old and I hope one day she can do something as nice for her, right now it is all too raw and I think she and her husband and her other stepdaughter are still in denial. How devastating for your sister to lose and infant, I cannot imagine anything tougher.