Monday, January 15, 2007

Broken Dreams

Bad picture, I know. I guess my camera is so used to catching moving subjects that it can't adjust itself to still life.



Anyway.....how do you like the Christmas present Jacob made me?



That started out as a beautiful blue, yet breakable obviously, Christmas ornament with Jacob's handprint and fingers forming five little snowmen complete with sappy, tear-inducing poem about the snowmen never melting and those little prints will always remain the same even after he has grown...yada, yada, sniff. It is the only crafty thing they have done with the kids all year long and it had his handprint on it......I am a sucker for handprints!

So, of course, the goal is to hang it on the tree year after year but this one sat in it's bag throughout the season because I was sure Adam, my baby, the little one who doesn't know any better, would break it, and I would have been completely devastated if he would have had his way with that ornament like he did the six or seven other ornaments that saw their demise on our tile floor and had a ceremonious passing in the recyclable bins.

Last night Jacob and I were playing a rousing game of Trouble upstairs when suddenly he felt the urge to flee downstairs....bathroom? itch? I don't know. I few minutes later he came up to let us know that we were no longer allowed to go in the "toy room" aka our dining room. He was quite matter of fact about it, like, well, that room's off limits, it's your turn now, mom. Of course, as comfy as I was stretched out on that bed, I had to go see why in the world we were banished from that fun room. Let's just say I didn't take it well and leave it at that. Sentimental snowman ornament shattered all over the raceway rugs makes pregnant mommy quite crazy. Jacob just stood there like Ralphie did when they found Flick stuck to the flag pole.....hmm, I don't see anything. I was completely devastated. Yes, it was just an ornament, but I imagined placing that on my tree with my grandkids around marvelling at Jacob's tiny handprints just like my mom does with the similar ornament I made in kindergarten. Now, this is what I am left with.

I would like to say that I gave him a big hug and let him know that I knew it was an accident and I still loved him and all was right with the world, but I did not. It was a scene out of a bad episode of Super Nanny and I am regretting it a whole lot today. When he wouldn't explain to me why he climbed up onto a shelf, took the ornament down and then dropped it halfway across a different room I hit the ceiling. I was mad. I sent him to his room to bed without a bath, without a night light, and without *gasp* the tooth fairy. It was a bad night, hearing him cry in that dark room, yet too angry to go do anything about it, too upset hearing the vacuum run to pick up the last remaining bits of snowman hand, upset with myself for knowing the right way to handle it, but being to emotional to do so. It was just an ornament, but it meant a lot to me. A symbol to mark to passing of time in my son's short childhood, something we were meant to enjoy for a lifetime, now has become a broken shard of colored glass there to remind me of yet another parenting faux pas, a broken opportunity in more ways than just a visit from the tooth fairy. Kids are resilient, though, he made it through his dark night and slept like a log and at the very least, he hasn't touched anything that belongs to me, yet.

So on page 1,254 of the parenting Jacob manual presented at his birth:
1. ornaments are just things, they really aren't important in the grand scheme of things
2. make him vacuum the pieces himself and calmly put him in time out and explain the consequences for touching important items in the future.
3. Do not take away important life events, you will regret it.


If only........


Excuse me while I explain to my son that the tooth fairy had a long weekend due to the MLK holiday and should be back on the clock tonight.

8 comments:

Miss Hope said...

We all have parenting moments like this. You just vow to yourself with every fiber of your being that you will never never never do it again. That is, unti you have the next "episode". It's truly okay.

And the handmade ornaments are my eternal weakness. I wrap them every year in tissue paper and get misty eyed when they come back out again.

The tooth fairy did the same thing at our house too. She went on vacation for a WEEK one time before she got to our house. What can I say? My memory ain't what it used to be.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I'm sorry! About the ornament and about you not being happy with yourself. Trust me, I've done it more than I care to admit. But it's still a common problem. Can you remake a handprint ornament? Or take a picture of the old one and somehow make it into a new ornament? A NONbreakable one? And honestly, what kindergarten gives the kids breakable ornaments?!?! I have maybe a total of 5 breakable ornaments cuz I can't stand cleaning up those tiny shards.

L said...

I'm sorry to hear about the ornament too.
I'm picturing the Tooth Fairy sipping Mai Tais on a beach in Hawaii during her long weekend. Too funny!

Lori said...

(((hugs))) We all have those moments that we wish we could erase and re-do at another time. Hell, I wish I could re-do ALL of today. Colin and Landon are wondering what bitch has replaced their Mommy...I am too.

I would have been upset too. I do agree that maybe you can make another one that is somewhat similar and a heck of a lot more durable. That way you'll have it to show to those grandkids.

Lynsey said...

I would've been upset too, I cherish things like that and would've been so devastated. Maybe you'll get a new one this year? One can only hope. :-)

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Oh, I know I've done something similar and felt AWEFUL afterward. I'm sorry about the broken ornament and I'm sorry for the ruined night. Maybe the tooth fairy can bring something extra special tonight.

Shane H. said...

Okay, I've been out of town so I had some catching up to do.

1. I really like the new template. It's so perky!
2. Wow...he lost his first tooth? Payton is almost 6 1/2 and doesn't have a loose one in sight.
3. Don't get too down on yourself about the ornament. You're pregnant for Pete's sake. Sometimes women in that state just have no control over themselves, their emotions, etc.
4. Maybe you could duplicate the ornament in some fashion once the anger subsides?

Michelle said...

I'm sure we all have those parenting moments we wish we could have a "do-over" where anger prevails because our emotions get the best of us. I imagine I would have reacted much in the same way; I become very attached to sentimental things. I was going to suggest what Shane did and see if there was anyway you could do something similar with his fingerprints and make them into little snowmen. Quick thinking about the tooth fairy having the holiday off!