Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Tuesday Tidbits

How cute is Steve Irwin's little girl? I have seen her on the web and television the past few days and, dang, I just want to squeeze her. It made me add the name Bindi to my list, but seriously, wouldn't everyone in the world know where I got that one from. It's kind of like Gwyneth and Calista.....two names I love but you don't see them except on those celebrities and, yes, aside from the baby name book they are the only girls I have ever known with those names.


I have figured out the deal at the O*ive Gar*en. They say it's unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks and charge you a small fortune for it, but it's really just one salad and the waiter skips town so you never can get another bowl of soup. This has happened to me the last three times I have been in that joint. No drink refills, no bread, no soup. I finally started flagging down other waiters and eventually I got another bowl of soup......all broth, not one veggie or piece of meat in the whole thing. I don't think that was a coincidence. Although my oldest loves that place, I no longer want to go there because eight bucks for one bowl of soup and a little bit of bread is obscene and I am just sick of the bad service there.


The family friend I was telling you about last week passed away Sunday morning. It's just absolutely amazing to me. We had no idea she was even sick last week and this week she's dead. She will miss seeing her daughter graduate med school this May and the birth of her first grandchild. It's all so sad. I am sure her kids are in complete shock. It really does make me realize how lucky we are that my mom went to that hospital when she did. I shudder to think what could have happened.


It's finally wintery here.....we're able to wear sweaters and coats and if we owned mittens we might use those too. They kept calling for this huge ice storm today and even my husband got the crazies demanding that I stock up on groceries and fill up the gas tank. Imagine our surprise when we woke up and all was dry as a bone. Even so, only six kids showed up to school in Jacob's class this morning. I guess it was too cold for them.


The tooth fairy brought Jacob a shiny new silver dollar complete with a protective case because she knew his daddy was a little fanatical about coins. He was most impressed with the "fairy dust" left on his window ledge. Who was it who told me about using the glitter as fairy dust? Thanks for the idea, it went over well, but holy cow I can't get rid of it today.

7 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Sounds like the tooth fairy went over well! I haven't eaten in at the Ga!den in years. Maybe that's why. I never make out on the soup and salad. There's really only so much salad you can eat for $8. Stay warm:) We're finally getting snow here.

L said...

I love that place but I don't like that kind of soup anyway but thanks for the warning. Now I want to go to our local one and see if the same thing happens. We could do an investigative report and expose The Ga!den to the blogoverse. I've got too much time on my hands these days. Can you tell?
I'm sorry to hear about your relative. Almost the same thing happened to my childhood neighborwho was also my first grade teacher. She went into the doctor because she had noticed some spots on her arm. She felt fine otherwise. The spots turned out to be the result of metastatic liver cancer. They gave her a month to live. She died about two weeks after her diagnosis. It was very sad.
Anyway, I'm thinking of you.

Amie said...

Sorry about your friend :( I can't believe how fast that was.

Steve Irwin's daughter is something else! Also, I just learned recently that` she is homeschooled.

I have never been to Olive Garden. One just opened here, but we just don't budget for eating out like that.

Shane H. said...

The O.G. drives me nuts too! Every time I go there and order the soup and salad, the bowls get smaller and I know they're not as deep as they used to be. Argh!!

Michelle said...

That used to be Joe's favorite restaurant. The closest one we have is 1.5 hrs away so we don't go often anymore. The times we have been to that one he's been disappointed, they've gone up in prices and down in portion (well restaurant portions are too large anyway, but it's nice to take leftovers home!)

So sorry to hear about your friend, that must be just awful for her family.

Glad the tooth fairy made it!

Anonymous said...

I can totally understand your frustration with the Olive Garden. Our family doesn't eat there at all! I'm sorry to hear about your friend. At least she is at peace. I will keep you and her family in my prayers. I bet your son was excited about the tooth fairy! Fairy dust and everything....WOW! I will have to remember that trick in the future!

Lori said...

(((hugs))) Andria. That is so, so, sad! I'll be praying for her family. I had a neighbor who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and 3 weeks later, died. At least he had time to get his affairs in order, but still...how do you deal with that?

I love that idea about the fairy dust! I do hate glitter though...it hangs around forever! :) I'm glad the tooth fairy finally made it by!