Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tuesday Tidbits

Six more days until Christmas. Every time I think I am done with everything, something else comes up. I am tired. Where is Santa when you need him?

Speaking of Santa, I truly must remember to do this next year......
As you know, we are spending the holidays with my family at the lake next week. This is the first time we have been with my sister in three years. It's kind of a pain to drag a bunch of presents all the way up there just to haul them back a week later, but it must be done! Anyway, once my mom was okayed to drive she drove a lot.....to the Walmart and back because, really, that's all there is up there. My sister caught wind of this and would call every third day or so to tell my mom another funny story about something that Abigail wanted for Christmas and could she pick that up for her so she wouldn't have to transport it? My mom did as she was asked and when we went up to the lake last weekend Jacob couldn't find one present for himself as they were all for Abigail. I mean, she outnumbers him four to one easily, he was a little irked, but he got over it because he knows Santa will be good to him. Well, yesterday my mom and sister were conversing about one of said presents and my mom was saying how really excited she was to give it to her and my sister let my mom know.....oh, no, those are all from Santa! Where my mom says, well then she doesn't have any gifts for Abigail and then my sister says, well, I don't have anything from Santa and, of course, my mom gives in. Geez.....I spent a small fortune on "Santa". My sister didn't pay a dime. Where did I go wrong here?

My husband has returned from his manly vacation. I laughed out loud at him last night when he totally figured he would leave me another evening so he could go to church again. Let's see, he went to a Christmas party, a five night vacation, and will have three nights alone later this week. Uh, no. When I reminded him that he just got back from vacation he told me that he really didn't consider it a vacation that it was a lot of work because he had to entertain his friend so much. Oh boo, hoo, hoo. That cool gift I was waiting on......a refrigerator magnet. It really tells someone thank you for caring for my offspring alone for many days don't you think?

Tracey asked about girl names. I don't have any picked out this time around yet, but we were going with Grace the first time and Rachel the second time. Derick is really all into Grace still, but I don't like it as much as I did six years ago and was starting to wonder about Rachel toward the end of the last pregnancy. They are nice names and I could use them if I had to, but I am hoping to find something else this time.

The more I think about it and say it in my head, Caleb isn't for me. In fact, none of them are for me. The few names I really like have been taken already by friends or family members. That's what happens when you are old having children. My husband wants one that two families we know have used semi-recently. He says it's our kid and we should name it whatever we want to call it since we will have to be the ones using it the rest of our lives, I think it just makes us look half looney and like we couldn't come up with something on our own. What are your thoughts on that because, like, there are about six names we really like that fall into that category.

5 comments:

OneHungMan said...

OneHung thinks Gracie on a little bitty girl would be cute, but not sure how that would work later in life.

Sadie said...

I have a thing about naming my future children something that nobody else (in their school or whatever) will have. But if that's not your issue, I wouldn't worry about looking like a copycat if you really like the name. Besides, if you move away then nobody will know.

Lori said...

I think it just depends on how close you are to those people. Inevitably, you are probably going to come across SOMEONE in your life-time who has the same name, and it's not like you're going to go back and change it.

You just have to do what you feel comfortable with (yeah, yeah, no answer or help right? Sorry!) There are no copywrites on names, so you can name that baby whatever you like. ;)

Shane H. said...

I like to go the uncommon route with names...Garrett & Payton. My advice for you would be to choose something you like regardless of who is currently using the name. Give him a really cool, unusual middle name to go with it!

mom-in-training said...

Andria,

In my opinion - name your baby whatever you want to name your baby. This is your child and he or she will have this name forever, but the people you know who have children with the same name may not always be present in your child's life. Or you may pick a name that no one you know has used, and then your child's best friend ends up having the same name. Pick the name YOU want and don't worry about who has already used it. :)