Thursday, November 30, 2006

What's Your Favorite Christmas Carol?

Sadie tagged me for my favorite Christmas tunes.


Name your favorite Christmas Songs and tag some favorite bloggers to Meme their favorites, too.


My favorite Christmas carol is Hark, the Herald Angels Sing. My Papaw passed away the Christmas I was five and I remember driving the eight hours up to Arkansas with my parents knowing something was wrong listening to Christmas songs on the am radio. My sister and I slept most of the way but at some point we stopped at a big building, I am guessing a hospital or funeral home, where my mom got out and my dad stayed in the car with us. My sister was around 14 months old at the time and she woke up screaming and I remember my dad singing the tunes from the radio trying to calm her. I remember so vividly Nat King Cole coming on singing Hark, the Herald Angels Sing and curling up with my dad and sister while my dad cried. I had never seen him cry before that. I always remember that everytime I hear it.


When we were growing up, my parents had a Nat King Cole Christmas album, it apparently isn't made anymore because I looked everywhere for it, but it was in a green cover with a bunch of little kids on it and we looked forward to getting that out every year. My sister and I always coveted a little girl's mary janes on the cover....we with our corrective brown ugly shoes always wanted a pair of mary janes, but anyway there were a few songs from it Buon Natale, The Happiest Christmas Tree, and Mrs. Santa Claus that we adored. I found a cassette of it years ago and snagged it but ended up leaving it at one of the schools I worked at...I finally found a few of the songs on itunes last year and was able to make a good CD with all my finds.


A couple of years ago at the beginning of my American Idol phase, I bought Clay Aiken's Christmas album. Can I just say I love every song on it and will continue to listen to it clear through January in spite of his highly publicized feud with the great Kelly Ripa. Oh, Holy Night and Mary Did You Know are my favorites, but they are all good.


Of course, no Christmas collection would be complete without Jingle Cats. Some guy actually recorded his many cats meows over a very long time and then had so much free time that he was able to edit them all into actual Christmas carols. It's a riot and Jacob's favorite.

Thank goodness for itunes. I haven't had to buy a Christmas CD since I got my ipod (except the new Brad Paisley one, but that's a given) picking and choosing and then putting my favorites on a CD rather than sit through a mediocre album for a few good songs really is the way to go. I found Heat Miser on it last year and we listen to it all year round. It was also where I found Sting singing Gabriel's Message in classic Sting style. Cool song.

OH! How could I forget! I have my three year old son on video tape singing Feliz Navidad with the words completely massacred, but it's so cute I can't help but chuckle every time I hear it over the loud speakers at the Kroger. Police Mommy Dot......I might have to put that on youtube.

So, there you have it. I could go on and on since I love Christmas music but I am itching to see what all of you like.......if you are reading this, consider yourself tagged!

3 comments:

Sadie said...

I wanna see the Police Mommy Dot video!!!!

I didn't know Brad Paisley had a Christmas album out, I don't think. I'll have to check it out!

OneHungMan said...

OneHung played.

Michelle said...

It would be so hard to pick my favorites - I think I enjoy them all!