Monday, May 15, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

Well, I had planned to write an extremely poignant Mother's Day post about my path to motherhood and how the sight of that four pound baby changed me forever, but Mother's Day, like my birthday, turned out to be a sham of a day so I am down on Hallmark holidays...boo, hiss. Can you tell I have a raging migraine headache in the photo? Could I even raise the brush to comb my hair? I swear I wasn't out on a pre-Mother's Day bender the night before. After wrestling the two boys at church, we came home to a feast of ramen noodles and ham sandwiches because you can't get into a restaurant after church here on a regular Sunday, much less Mother's Day and, really, do I need to wait an hour and a half to sit and wolf down my meal while trying to keep my kids entertained? Our plan was to have lunch and head to the park, our usual Sunday entertainment, but the skies opened up and the rain poured and for the first time since we have lived here the electricity went out....before I had called my mother, and sister, and basically any other mother I needed to call. What about that land line or your cell phone you ask? Well, my super intelligent husband gave the old land line to the Katrina effort back in September, because yeah, they were living in the Astrodome, but that land line phone might come in handy one day and we didn't need one because in the event of a power outage we have cell phones, which is all fine IF THEY ARE CHARGED. Little cosmic joke, gotta charge them with electricity. I bet you are also wondering why I didn't dial up on my laptop to drop them an email....I tried, but turns out husband spent Saturday night making sure the thing worked and drained the battery. SOOOOO, my mom is worrying to tears about me because I call daily and the fact that I haven't called on a holiday is scaring the crap out of her and my headache continues to worsen into the night for all the scented candles we have burning. UGH...honeysuckle, watermelon, and espresso.....oh, it was bad. Our power didn't come back on until 2 am, stereo blasting, washing machine kicking, and security system honking just as my headache was finally starting to subside (after only six vicodin). The icing on the cake: I missed Grey's Anatomy!

BUT, I can't complain about the morning; it wasn't too bad. Jacob drew a map to my cards and gifts, which was actually pretty understandable (is that a word?). I knew all that Dora the Explorer would pay off. The kids got me some itunes gift cards (sweet!) and the dad actually planted a big planter full of beautiful annuals, which for him is a big gesture. He does not buy flowers or plants because they die and why spend money on something that is just going to die?

And for my poignant post about motherhood, maybe next year, but I will leave you with the end of my day, after the electricity woke us all up and my babes had climbed into bed with me, my oldest wanted to snuggle and my baby rubbed my hair and Jacob whispers to me "I love you mom, Happy Mother's Day" THEN, it was a good day.

1 comment:

Shane H. said...

Well, at least the story did have a happy ending. :)