Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Last Week

It's been a weird week for me. It has been a string of lasts for Jacob and it saddens me. His last day of preschool was Tuesday. It really does seem like yesterday was his first day. I remember how excited he was, and the excitement never ended for him. He absolutely LOVED going and would count the days each week until the school days rolled around. Yeah, we had some issues there (mainly me), but he grew so much there. He just seems so small in this picture taken on the first day and so big in the last day photo. I cried almost the entire day. It was all so happy, yet so sad at the same time. How can it be that my BABY is an official kindergartener now?

We went to library story time for the last time yesterday. We have been going every Wednesday morning for the past three years. Jacob knows all the library ladies and they adore him. I thought I would bawl my eyes out hearing those ladies tell him how much they loved him and would miss him next year. I can remember when we first started going I would have to translate a lot of what he said to the ladies and it suddenly dawned on me that he lost the one speech quirk he still had, saying Ys for Ls as in Yemon (lemon) and I don't even know when that happened. I used to scrapbook and keep the baby book up to date by practically the minute, and now whole months go by and I have no firsts to log into them. I feel like I haven't appreciated the preschool years as much as I should have. They are over and I didn't do many of the things I had planned on doing with him the past five years, like go to the children's museum more, or take a swim class, and all the art projects I was going to do.....the patterns and materials still sit in a heap on my desk where they have been since the day before Adam was born. This last year was supposed to be LOADS AND LOADS of fun for us, instead he has taken a liking to Noggin while I attempt to keep the house clean and the days just pass us by. I really do think I am ready to take that next step, kindergarten, with Jacob, check back with me in August, but I do miss his babyness and cannot believe it passed me by in the blink of an eye.
***He just came in, hugged my neck, said "I Love You, Mom" (and I noticed the L sound), and asked me nicely to fill his pool up and eat popsicles outside. I guess I should oblige and enjoy my time.

3 comments:

kelly jeanie said...

Aww! You sound like you need a hug. :) Where does the time go? I'm sure you guys will enjoy the summer, and then you get to enjoy the time with Adam. Personally, I've decided to forbid Owen from growing up. Do you think that will work?

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

And the clock keeps on ticking...no matter how hard I hold onto the minute hand.

I know how you feel. I know that life will be a collection of firsts and lasts, new bounding leaps for the kids that I will never believe they are ready for (cuz I won't be). The art stuff will be just as fun this summer, or next year or whenever you get around to it. You can still journal for him in his book right NOW. Write down all that has happened and how you can't believe he doesn't lisp anymore and how he can reach things he couldn't before etc. It'll be just as nice for him in 20 years. He won't care about the exact date and you probably won't either.

Shane H. said...

I can totally sympathize with you. Tuesday was also Payton's last day of preschool. He cried several times on Wednesday because he misses his friends already. How terribly sad. He's so very excited about starting kindergarten though. It's going to be a long summer for us both I'm afraid.