Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Who's Thomas?

Well, I never thought I would see this day come, but I think Jacob has outgrown Thomas the Tank Engine. I mean, he still likes to play with his trains, THANK GOD because we have every single one they have ever sold as well as enough track to string through our entire house, but he just isn't as fanatical as he has been the past four years.

Thomas has been Jacob's obsession since my husband toted him to the Barnes and Noble when he was 16 months old. My husband thought it would be a good idea to buy him ONE train and a SMALL track that Christmas and the rest, as they say, is history. We could not go into stores without him spotting anything Thomas and begging for it. He would call his Gammy on the phone and ask for the latest video or train and a week later that request would come in the mail. He has Thomas wallpaper, a Thomas bedspread, sheets, posters, and every video ever made. I swore when I was pregnant that my kid would never own a video, I wasn't getting them hooked on that stuff hahahahahaha. Anyway, Thomas has been a daily focus of our life for four years now and I am proud of the fact that I know the names of all the trains and can quote the stories, we are used to him and it is nice. It dawned on us yesterday that Jacob hasn't watched Thomas in at least a week and the Thomas computer games are collecting dust on the desk.
We were able to go to Target without stopping in the Thomas aisle. A new video is coming out next week and I learned about it first from a website, instead of my son. We always joked that Jacob would pack his trains to take to college (WVU, of course) with him and roll our eyes and pray for the day that Thomas was a distant memory. It seems to be coming and I am sad, like I could sit down and cry sad, I cannot imagine Thomas not being front and center in my little dude's world. I could blame it all on those snotty kids at school who have told Jacob that Thomas is for babies and laugh at him when he wears his Thomas shirts (which he hasn't worn in a while), but I suspect it is because he is FIVE and his interests now include this, this, and this, I guess he doesn't have time for good old Thomas. Excuse me while I go sit and feel sorry for myself because my baby continues to grow when I so definitely am not ready for it.

1 comment:

kelly jeanie said...

LOL, that was my first thought too, Jennifer! Hopefully Adam likes the trains. Andria, those pictures are adorable. Why oh why do they have to grow up?

Heh, just had to say that the word verification I had to type was "heebj". That's a funny word. :)